3 years ago#1
clarebear300
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 2
Votes: 0

Help please!
My two new goldfish have white spots on them.....I just got the water tested at the aquarium and it was really high in amonia.....I have done a partial water change and put the special stuff in the water but since I have done that they are now just sitting on the bottom of the tank.....does this mean they are going to die... x

Answer
3 years ago#2
johnarthur
Blogs: 107
Forum: 24,363
Votes: 1,307

If the white spots look like salt crystals, they are probably ich. It's a common aquarium parasite that attacks fish with weakened immune systems. Frequently, weakened immune systems are caused by stress from poor water quality. Ich is not always fatal, but the fish cannot recover if their environment is not healthy.

In a well balanced aquarium, fish respiration and digestion plus any decaying organic matter produce toxic ammonia. Three types of beneficial bacteria associated with the nitrogen cycle process the ammonia in three stages to produce plant food. Here's some more information about it:
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/the-nitrogen-cycle-for- beginners-358.html

The partial water change should help deal with the present situation, but it may be necessary to change about 20 percent of the water every day or two until ammonia and nitrite stay at zero and nitrate is below 40 ppm. If you use a tap water conditioner like Stress Coat Plus, it will neutralize chlorine, chloramine, toxic nitrogen compounds and heavy metals. Several other tap water conditioners will do the same thing.

The partial water changes and feeding no more than the fish actually eat in a couple of minutes will solve the water quality issues but will not kill the ich parasite. Several ich medications will kill the parasite but not its eggs. Since the eggs hatch in about two weeks, the treatment period is usually three weeks to make sure all the parasites are eliminated.

Some aquarium medications are strong enough to kill the nitrogen cycle bacteria. Always read the label to make sure the medication is safe for the nitrogen cycle.

After the ich and water quality issues are solved, partial water changes every four or five days will keep the goldfish aquarium healthy. In the correct environment, fish very seldom get sick.

Reply
3 years ago#3
clarebear300
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 2
Votes: 0

Thanks so much for your reply!
They look so much better today....last night they were just sitting on the bottom of the tank but today they are swimming around again
I noticed you said the treatment should last for 3 weeks on the bottle it only says 3 days.....should I keep doing it for 3 weeks?
Thanks
x

Reply
3 years ago#4
johnarthur
Blogs: 107
Forum: 24,363
Votes: 1,307

It's always a good idea to follow the directions on medications. Maybe you found something new, but most ich meds kill only the parasite and not its eggs. The eggs need a couple of weeks to hatch, and only then is the parasite vulnerable to meds.

If you did find a new med, please don't use it unless the label clearly states it will not harm nitrogen cycle bacteria. If the stuff is potent enough to kill ich eggs, it may also kill the beneficial bacteria.

Reply
2 years ago#5
minnow and danio
Junior Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 36
Votes: 0

go to your pet shop and retailer and ask about it, only go to pets at home they actually know what their talking about lol.

Reply
2 years ago#6
jlk
Wiz
Blogs: 0
Forum: 7,726
Votes: 324

What type of med did you use? What size is this tank and how many goldfish are in it?

Reply
1 year ago#7
guppy girl 123
Bronze Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 45
Votes: 0

It's probably ich
go to your local pet shop and ask for the appropriate medicine quickly!

Reply
8 months ago#8
Goldfish Girl
Guest

Your goldfish properly has white spot disease, a very common disease found in goldfish. If left untreated, it WILL have fatal effects.

SYMPTONS: The symptons of white spot disease is pretty straight foward. Your fish will start getting small tiny spots on their fins and sometimes around their eyes. But to make sure there no air bubbles, turn your filter off for a few minutes and if they don't go away after a minute, they properly do have it. Your fish would also stay at the bottom of the tank, float backwards or even upside down. After these a shown, they most certainly do have it.

TREATMENT: The only way to stop white spot disease from spreading to the internal organs, is to get "White Spot Remody", a type of medication for freshwater fish that is relatively cheap. This medication should eliminate the disease in the tank, in around three days. Follow the directions carefully and thoroughly, because an overdose of the medication would lead to poisoning. While in treatment, the filter needs to stay off, but feeding can still be in action. Take out all rocks and decorations, your tank needs to be well aerated.

CAUSE: The cause of white spot disease can be a few things...
1-Lack of water treatment
2-Water not being cycled properly
3-Putting to many new decorations in at once
4- Putting things inside the tank that could gave hidden bacteria in them
5- Taking out too much water when tank is being cleaned

TIPS TO PREVENT DISEASE: A good tip to prevent white spot disease is to take out one quarter of the tank water every week and replace with new water. This will make sure that a lot of water isn't taken out at a time, while your still somewhat cleaning the tank. If your going to put new decor in, let one decoration sit in the tank for a few days at a time with filteration, to ensure bacteria is being removed.

TIPS FOR AFTER TREATMENT: After the treatment, because there was no filteration, the tank is usually warm and unsafe for the goldfish since their cold water fish. To make it extra cool, turn filter on after treatment, and put a thoroughly washed out coca cola bottle filled with cold, frozen water inside the tank for half and hour, this tip is also good for warm days.

Reply
7 months ago#9
johnarthur
Blogs: 107
Forum: 24,363
Votes: 1,307

Hi Goldfish Girl:

Your posting was very informative. If you join our forum, you could publish it as a blog. It would then be easier for goldfish keepers to find.

Reply
7 months ago#10
gold fish fan
Guest
i will try the advise from girl fish girl ,i am a bit confused here on site is saying bang the heat up in the tanks to 68 -77 temp then treat with white spot med then you are saying keep cool to kill the ick i know gold fish are cold water fish ,whats a girl to do for the better my old gold fish of 9 years is slowly dying of this problem and i wish i never put him in larger tank.
Reply
By entering this site you declare you read and agreed to its Terms, Rules & Privacy and you understand that your use of the site's content is made at your own risk and responsibility.
Copyright © 2006 - 2015 My Aquarium Club