How To Make Your Own Coconut Cave
I went to my lfs one time and they had one of these things for sale in the plant section and they wanted $15 for it! I thought, no way, I’m going to make my own. In this blog, I’m gonna teach you how to make your own! The whole project will cost about $4, at least for me it did.
- A coconut (NOTE: one will make two)
- A drill
- A hand saw
- A flat head screwdriver
- A pot to boil them in
- A dremel tool
- A hammer
- Fishing line
- Java fern
- Java moss, or Taiwan moss
Steps to making it:
1. Purchase a coconut at your grocery store.
2. Wash the dust off of it.
3. Drill a hole in the top of the coconut and drain the milk from it.
5. Cut the coconut in half with the saw.
4. Optional: Drill two more holes in the top for when you attach the java fern.
6. Chisel out the meat with the flat head screwdriver and the hammer.
7. Get the dremel tool and make an arch in the wood to make a cave entrance.
8. Boil these for 15 min each, until the water runs clear. You may have to boil more than once.
9. Get the fishing line and tie the moss and java fern through the holes.
10. Place in your aquarium.
Hope you enjoy your new cave!