2 weeks after buying my 1st tank and wow, I had no idea how much there is to learn. OK, so there is plenty of great info on the nitrogen cycle, so here’s a simple list on what else I wish I’d known and what I’d do differently next time.
- Fish are like volatile teenagers. They fight, nip, bully, get territorial, aggressive and eat each other ! Think fish is a great website to find out which fish will play nicely together & will fit in your tank. Also check they want the same PH levels & temperature.
- It’s time to learn the art of patience, as it will take a few weeks before your tank is ready for fish.
- Before putting water in, get the decorations etc just as you want it. It may look pretty, but have you left room for the fish to swim ? I didn’t !
- Do you want a background ? It’s not a good idea to move about a tank full of water, do it 1st.
- It’s easier to move stuff about without having to keep soaking the place putting your arm in a tank full of water, disturbing what you’ve already done.
- Look into air stones.
- Don’t panic if the tank gets cloudy. As long as you rinsed/soaked everything before putting it in, practice patience for a few days it will probably suddenly clear over night.
- No, there are not 2 bottles of Ammonia & Nitrate in the API master test kit because more drops are needed. There are 2 bottles because it takes both bottles to do a test.
- Shake shake shake ( no, not your little (or big) **** ! , though of course you can if you choose to do so), shake the test bottles, especially the Nitrate or it won’t work. Something to do with crystals being/forming in it that need broken back down. If the 2nd bottle of Nitrate or 1st Ammonia drops are clear, you’ve not shaken them enough.
- API master water test kit seems to be the best one. Most fish shops will also test the water for you, ask for the actual readings, not just it’s ok .....
- This is a great site with great people, full of knowledge & help. Use it.
- Warning - this may become obsessive and steal hours of your time !
- Have fun :0)
So... what do you think? Please leave me a comment or give me a .