Somehow my tank has been contaminated with an orange algae. Each time i see it i clean it off with my algae scrubber.(it seems to be on my plants which i don't know how to get off, and on the glass and heater in the tank, its like an orange smudge but it gets all over!) It goes away for about a week give or take but then comes back, what should i do? and what is this stuff?
Pic is not working, but could it possibly be diatoms?
Sorry about the pic and thats what it looks like but orange. Not kinda orange like BRIGHT ORANGE.
Hmm, well the only time I have ever seen a bright orange is with overfeeding and too much light. How much do you feed, how often, and how long do you leave the tank lights on? Is the tank by a window? Is the orange slimy like snot?
not eaxctly slimy....and i feed every night and sometimes in the morning to. I leave the light one only from 7am to about 9pm.
How long has your tank been set up? It's pretty common for tanks that have been set up for about 6 weeks to go through this kind of bloom. It should clear up on it's own in a few weeks. If you reduce your lighting to about 10 hours a day that should help.
Are you using well water?
Diatoms are the brown things that show up in new tanks.
I never leave my lights on for more than 8 hours, so 14 hours is quite a long time, and leads to algae growth. I had the issue of not being able to be there to turn the lights off, so I got some digital timers and it makes things SOOOO much easier!
I will definatly look into the timers! Also my tank is about three to two months old(more towards three) and i do use well water.
As some poepl are saying, Orange alge is linked with light. Ive been keeping fish for years and used to have a 440 litre tank and in both my old houses I never had a problem.
I gave up fish for a while but now have started again with a 120 ltr tank and for the 1st time ever... my tank is near a window and the sun catches one side of the tank every day and dont you know it... that very same side has orange alge. I have set my timers for the tank light to come on from 6pm till 11pm to adjust for some sunlight but I will also be looking to block the sunlight some more.
the orange algae could be from your a/c air handler,the coils in mine were covered with it[due to a freon leak]but it also grows in the drip pan w/out a leak.it grew in my bathroom and in damp areas inside the house too,including a spot on the side of the mattress where a drink was spilled,and it spread to the under side too. the fish might be ok, but our sinus and respiratory were not!we're in the south but it could still be worth looking into. i relize algae must have light, so in my situation,it has to be fungus instead,but it grew in the cats water!it is also called "rust" mold if you look it up.
i have the same problem... orange algae. Interestingly, everything here is correct. I am using well water, and I was leaving the light on all the time.
Luckily, I am just cycling the new tank (been up a month) with a few goldfish to get the ammonia right. They seem not at all troubled with the algae.
So, will this just go away with better light management? Will suckers take care of it? So I have to scrub everything down?
thanks all, this has been a helpful discussion.
I turned the light off altogether for a week and it helped mitigate the bright orange stuff. But, once the light was on over night it all came back.
Am also seeing this orange stuff EVERYWHERE from the well. Any water that sits out for a few days gets these orange spots. Doesn't have a taste or smell or any adverse affects. Even the goldfish are still happy. However, until I am certain I have this issue in hand, I am not adding any more fish.
well, maybe a couple suckers to put them to work on the orange stuff.
thanks that helps me i was reading this thread to see for myself. i have had mine just about 5 or 6 weeks now. and didnt really see it... i didnt thing it was too much light. i only leave it on at night and my apartment stays dark! ;p
I bought some algae stuff from pet's mart designed to keep the algae blossoms in control, and it has totally worked. Am quite pleased, and it was a $5 solution
what was the name of it
i had the exact same problem. a few solutions
- change food from flakes to granuals
- don't over feed your fish
- replace 10% of aquarium water with fresh water once a week
- change filters often
My guess chlorine soap or just letting it dry up and die then a month later put the stuff back in ITS IN MY BATH TUB