someone please help!!!! i had a floating mercury thermometer. i left the house for about 3 hours came bak and the fish must have smashed it!!! the mercury was sitting at the bottom of the tank! i have removed all the gravel around that site, i have put 500g of carbon into the tank and i have given them a dose of armor coat. will this kill my fish?!?? :,( what should i do!!!????
immediately transfer all fishes in a separate tank.do 100% water change.then add fish.
Did you syphon out the mercury? Most of it should stay in one blob, but some could dissolve into the water. You may want to do some research on the thermometer to be sure it actually contained mercury and if so how much.
Good luck, and please keep us posted.
And be careful while doing all this - it's not only fishes health but yours as well!
What colour was the liquid that rises in this thermometer (before it broke)?
If it was red then its alcohol not mercury and the silver balls are likely weights only not mercury.
If it was silver liquid rising then yep, mercury and I would be more concerned over my own health than my fish while cleaning it up.
the liquid was red but they there were little silver balls sitting in the gravel,they were at the bottom of the thermometer, could these just be weights?!? i really hope so. i took care getting them out, i used an old spoon and takeaway containers to remove all the gravel in that corner. i did a 25% water change, i would have done more but it was 11:30 at night and i have a 300L tank
if the silver balls were weighty and liquid then it is mercury...even though the thermometer didnt contain mercury anfd contained alcohol instead you still need water change as.. alcohol is also not good for fish health....
I am guessing its Steel, Zinc or outside chance...Lead for these weight balls, most more modern thermometers with the red liquid don't have mercury in them any more. Was the thermometer fairly new?
If the balls are steel then they could possibly be magnetic.. you could wrap a magnet in a clean plastic bag and suspend on some string? float over substrate and see if you can pick balls up this way?
If they are lead or zinc however they are not magnetic.
Hopefully you've averted a major situation here, so hope things normalise in your house once this panic is over.
Weights are common in aquarium thermometers, but mercury is liquid at room temperature. The weights are probably some other kind of metal.
And many thanks to Jase for explaining the red stuff in most thermometers. I thought they had taken out the mercury some time ago but was not sure. Mercury is still used in scientific instruments and as a conductor of electricity in various types of switches. Or is it?
i have done a bit of research on my thermometer and i found one exactly like it in a pet shop and the packet said does not contain mercury. oh how relieved i was!! but then i felt a bit like an idiot for getting so worked up over metal weights! better safe that sorry tho i guess. the magnet idea is good il try that to get any of them that i may have missed. my fish are all fine thank goodness, i lost a fair bit of sleep over them lol. thank u all for ur fast reply's and knowledge. im glad that all there is now is to buy another thermometer and not fish.
Uff - relief indeed XD I am very glad it was not mercury! And the fishes got an extra water change.
Maybe you can consider signing up for our forum as a member, we would like to hear more about your 300 ltr tank.
Glad to have eased you mind a little to be honest, i can only imagine the worry you had.
If you fit another themometer of the same type can you take the sucker holder off the first broken one perhaps and use two suckers on the new one? (if it can be done). Then if you have one sucker fail its got the other to hold it in place.
thats a good idea about the second sucker. il give that a go. i have one more question, i have a second hand 2 year old electric yellow and he had a graze on his fin one day so i treated the tank for 6 days with melafix and it got better but then a couple of days latter he has 3 more sores on his side, not big but u can see them. i no its not any of the other fish because he is the biggest fish and i have never seen them show any aggression towards him at all! all my fish get along well so i have ruled out fighting. i have seen him twitching for no reason and then scratch along the ground and rocks in the tank, that was how i thought he grazed his fin. a person and the pet shop said it could be some sort of worm. any ideas??? he is fine he is eating well and swims around as normal although he holds one of his fins in and doesn't use it as much
If in any concern, first check your water for any abnormal readings that could be causing this. If nothing there, it 'might' be parasitic. Ich/Ick would likely be more visible soon enough if it were that, but it would be worth checking to ensure that this behaviour isn't 'normal' in these cichlids.. even part of their play or breeding behaviour???
the water is fine, everything is fine, its just him with the injury, i think he has done it to him self. i just dont no y
better safe than sorry