Photo by Punchiechip
I use kosher (David’s Kosher Salt - no additives - NOT MORTONS!) as a medication. Aquarium Salt also works, but I usually have David’s around.
I use a MILD solution, 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.
- I first do two 25% changes in the water - just conditioned water - an hour apart.
- In the second one, I dissolve what would be closer to 1/4 teaspoon of salt per gallon for the whole tank. DISSOLVE IT COMPLETELY!
- Add it slowly and try not to dump it on top of the fish!
- I do another PWC later (how much depends - use your judgement but no more than 30%) and add the balance of the salt to bring it up 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.
- Continue to do PWCs each day, adding back the salt you removed (IOW if you removed a gallon, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon in the clean water) Keep this up for up to 7 days.
- Then continue with the PWCs each day but NO SALT and it will slowly be removed from the tank.
All that said - the PWCs alone would usually work - and this is an extreme measure.