My dad's been raising feeder fish for a number of years and we've never had this strange white algae. It's alive and it grabs the living fish and just 'devours' them. The globs cannot be fought off by scraping, ick, algae eater, and all of the living fish have all died within one day.
The tank has been cleaned continously and yet this stuff KEEPS growing back. Filters are also clogged within 1 day because the algae.
Please help cause we have no clue how to get rid of this nasty stuff.
You might want to get your water test......the people who test the water might be able see if any type of substances are causing this....Have you completely washed out and emptied the tank? If all else fails....you might want to get a new tank.
It could be something adding sugar to the aquarium. Possible sources are sap from driftwood, an out of control fermentation system intended to add carbon dioxide, fruit or even a well intentioned person actually adding sugar, honey, bread, breakfast cereal, etc.
If it ultimately becomes necessary to disinfect the aquarium, you can soak it in a solution of water and chlorine bleach for several hours. After a thorough rinsing, soak it over night in freshwater with four times the recommended amount of chlorine neutralizer, then rinse it and soak it in clean water before setting the aquarium back up.
Well we don't get alot of visitors for the fish because we raise them to be eaten by our baby reptile. The tank is too tall for little kids and any adults don't really visit the back bedroom where our aquatic creatures are. His tank was also invaded by the white algae but it didn't bother him at all. We think the problem is (after reading over all the other blogs in this site) we have the tank in full view of an open window and lately its been very sunny even though its cold out AND we've had the heater going so our reptile doesn't freeze.
My dad had already decided and dreaded cleaning out the tank once again with bleach but he's fairly hesistant about it for some reason. Thank you so much for giving me the answers I needed! This site is very helpful and I'm glad I found it.
Before I go can you answer my previous question?
What is the White algae? From what I read nobody else had it become harmful to their fish or act like it was alive...We have no other creatures in our tank though there use to be ghost shrimp, suckers, but now we mostly buy feeder goldfish because they're supposed to last but this white algae ate them...
I have been medicating the last six fish in my tank with little results. I have this white stuff all over the sides of the tank and the pet store said it is white algae. I have 3 Balla sharks, 1 barb, 1 large Angel, and 1 Gouramie left. If I replace everything the tank will start recycling which could be harmful to the fish as well. Do I just get rid of the fish as well as everything in the tank? I have bleach the artifical plants, threw out my rocks, got rid of all my Chemipure. If I tear down all the way and replace the sand with gravel, i will just get rid of the tank. If this algae is going to kill the rest of my fish should I put out them out of their misery?
Can you post a picture?
Will try and upload one tomorrow. Right now the tank is cloudy because of the Maracyn 2. The fish look bad and have now stopped eating. I do believe there is no way to salvage the damage done
Perhaps you have hydra--living creatures that eat other organisms. They are white . . . and alive. Cleaning everything with chlorine (bleach) will kill them. Then rinse everything and wait a day to be sure the chlorine has evaporated.